AT&T EGA 750 display adapter info wanted

R.SHARPLES rps at homxc.UUCP
Mon Aug 1 23:04:30 AEST 1988

In article <1428 at lznv.ATT.COM>, psc at lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
> In article <5481 at ihlpf.ATT.COM>, lyourk at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Loran N. Yourk) writes:
> > I have an AT&T 6300 Plus computer with an AT&T 318H color monitor
> > and would like any information on the AT&T 750 EGA card in such a
> > system.
>
> So far as I understand, it's a fairly vanilla EGA card, except that it
> does CGA (and AT&T 640x400) at 25MHz.  It runs the 319 color monitor at
> the regular (not 25 MHz) EGA frequency, so you *can't* use the 318.
> (That's right, the 319 is not a multifrequency but a *bi*frequency
> monitor!)
>
> > I know TAXAN makes the 557 Gold EGA video card but how does it
> > compare to the AT&T 750 card.  Which would be better or are they
> > the same?
>
> The STB Multires II will put EGA graphics (sixteen simultaneous colors
> out of a palette of sixteen instead of sixty-four) on your 318 monitor.
> The Taxan 557 Gold Card *should* do the same thing, but when I asked
> about a year ago, Taxan wouldn't confirm this.

I have installed and used both the TAXAN 557 and the STB EGA Multires II.
I highly recommend the STB.  The Taxan supports Taxan's proprietary video
mode which is 640x400x16 (though not compatible with the AT&T DEB).  EGA
is supported *only* through software emulation.  Hence, any software that
tries to write directly to the EGA hardware registers (virtually anything
by Microsoft) will encounter problems on the Taxan card.  The STB card
on the other hand is fully register compatible with the EGA, supports
a 640x400 text mode (so you get clearer text than EGA's 640x350 text mode)
and will run 640x350x16 EGA graphics on an AT&T 318.  The EGA image is smaller
than full screen because 50 lines are blank due to the difference in
horizontal resolutions.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.