AT&T EGA 750 display adapter info wanted

Paul S. R. Chisholm psc at lznv.ATT.COM
Mon Aug 1 14:07:53 AEST 1988

< "Would you buy a used operating system from these guys?" >

In article <5481 at ihlpf.ATT.COM>, lyourk at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Loran N. Yourk) writes:
> I have an AT&T 6300 Plus computer with an AT&T 318H color monitor
> and would like any information on the AT&T 750 EGA card in such a
> system.

So far as I understand, it's a fairly vanilla EGA card, except that it
does CGA (and AT&T 640x400) at 25MHz.  It runs the 319 color monitor at
the regular (not 25 MHz) EGA frequency, so you *can't* use the 318.
(That's right, the 319 is not a multifrequency but a *bi*frequency
monitor!)

>                  How is the speed of the card and does it use the
> "AT&T 16 bit bus" or is it just an 8 bit card?

If it works in a 6310 or WGS system (and it does), it can't use the
AT&T sixteen bit bus.

>                                                 Does anyone know
> of any problems of using it in an AT&T 6300 Plus with UNIX(TM)
> software (I do not have the UNIX(TM) software yet but...)?

This specific card, I don't know.  There's not a lot of UNIX(R)
software that understands EGAs.  (Especially not UNIX software written
for the 6300 PLUS, which can't take an EGA without minor surgery.)

> I know TAXAN makes the 557 Gold EGA video card but how does it
> compare to the AT&T 750 card.  Which would be better or are they
> the same?

The STB Multires II will put EGA graphics (sixteen simultaneous colors
out of a palette of sixteen instead of sixty-four) on your 318 monitor.
The Taxan 557 Gold Card *should* do the same thing, but when I asked
about a year ago, Taxan wouldn't confirm this.

Note for old 6300 (not PLUS) owners:  EGA cards are incompatible with
the 384K memory expansion boards.  So sorry.

> [I already have the video disabler chip and installation
> instructions for EGA cards in the 6300 Plus.]

Good, you'll need them.

> Loran Yourk, ihlpf!lyourk, (312) 510-6885

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc at lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.