AT&T EGA 750 display adapter info wanted

The Wumpus aptr at ur-tut
Tue Aug 2 09:01:58 AEST 1988

In article <1428 at lznv.ATT.COM> psc at lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>< "Would you buy a used operating system from these guys?" >
>
>In article <5481 at ihlpf.ATT.COM>, lyourk at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Loran N. Yourk) writes:
>> I have an AT&T 6300 Plus computer with an AT&T 318H color monitor
>> and would like any information on the AT&T 750 EGA card in such a
>> system.
>
>So far as I understand, it's a fairly vanilla EGA card, except that it
>does CGA (and AT&T 640x400) at 25MHz.  It runs the 319 color monitor at
>the regular (not 25 MHz) EGA frequency, so you *can't* use the 318.
                                                ^^^^^^^
Don't tell me this.  My monitor will be really upset when it finds out
that it should not have been running on the VDC750.  I have had a VDC
750 installed in my 6300 clone for a month with no problems from the
monitor.

In the VDC 750 Manual, it states that the card _will_ work the 318 monitor,
but there are some small problems.   The first of these is that the
screen is slightly compressed due to the difference in scan lines between
the EGA and AT&T modes (350 vs. 400).  The second is that the 318 will
not display all 64 possible colors, only the 16 colors that could
be displayed in normal CGA.

I should also point out that the VDC 750 adds an Extended EGA mode
that is 640x400 16 color.  It is not the same as DEB, but it is
still very nice.

PS: The VDC 750 comes with instructions for installing it in almost
all of the 63xx machines except the 6300.  When I called AT&T about
this when I got the card (a month or so ag), they were not officially
supporting any EGA card in the 6300 because of the Bus problem.  Since
then, I have found a correction for the Bus problem and apparently,
the VDC 750 is becoming popular in 6300s inside of AT&T.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss at uorvm
		  Internet: aptr at tut.cc.rochester.edu
Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley
		  Internet: aptr at tut.cc.rochester.edu
Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley