How can I have no DUMPDEV on a 3B15?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 14:10:05 AEST 1988

Hi folks,

     We have a 3B15 and we want *no* dump device -- how do we do
this?  /etc/system lets us specify the swap and dump partitions
with:

        DUMPDEV:/dev/dsk/0s1
        SWAPDEV:/dev/dsk/0s1 160992 20000

     DUMPDEV is required to lie on a partition boundary, but this
isn't required for SWAPDEV.  We prefer to put swap at the end of
a partition because to do otherwise means that partition can't
be used for a filesystem, and 45MB (the smallest partition) is
a pretty BMF swap area -- much larger than we need.

     We had a very unfortunate experience some time ago where a
misspecified DUMPDEV ate our /usr filesystem, and we would very
much like to avoid this in the future.  I suppose I can
repartition the machine to make a dump partition, but it seems
like such a waste when I want to just ignore it.

     Anybody have any ideas?  Hotline really had no idea what
I was talking about.  We're running Sys V Release 3.1.1,
and these IDFC drives have no VTOC (fixed partition offsets).

     Thanks much,
     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl