Need information on 3B1

Boyd Ostroff ostroff at oswego.Oswego.EDU
Sun Aug 14 04:45:36 AEST 1988

In article <397 at mfgfoc.UUCP> mike at mfgfoc.UUCP (Mike Thompson) writes:
>What I would like to know from any of you who would like to volunteer
>some information or opinions, is the 3B1 Unix PC a resonable alternative
>to an AT clone considering that AT&T has recently stopped producing them?

I'll take a stab at a few of your questions....

>1.  What is AT&T's official policy towards hardware and software support
>    of the 3B1?

Don't know about hardware (it is supported, but I understand that a motherboard
replacement is ~$2000!), but software updates have been made available for
the asking, and very promptly in my case.  I seriously doubt that you will
see any NEW releases of the system software from AT&T, but they do seem to be
responding to bug reports in the current version (at least the major ones).

>4.  Is the conversion of software hard or dificult to the flavor of Unix
>	on the 3B1?

It passes the SVVS for SVR2, although there are about 10 pages of diffs in
the front of the manual....Everything I've taken from comp.sources.unix has
compiled with very little trouble, including RN and USENET 2.11.

>5.  How robust is the hardware and software on the 3B1?  In other words,
>	would I be buying a headache?

I'm quite pleased with mine.  The uucico supplied with version 3.51 caused
random crashes, but this has been greatly improved by the 3.51a fixes and
I understand that 3.51b is forthcoming.

I bought mine at the "fire sale" last fall for about $2100 (2MB RAM, 67 MB disk,
development set).  From what I've read, they aren't available new in this
configuration anymore - think you'll have to get a used one or buy a smaller
disk/RAM configuration and upgrade it yourself.

The way I look at it, my machine serves my needs quite nicely and I don't
think I could have even come close to its power/functionality for even *twice*
that price (for a NEW system, that is).  However, I realize that I bought an
"orphan" :-( and am not willing to put very much additional $ into it, unless
its something that can also work with another system (the recently announced
third party SCSI board might provide such a capability).  Anyway, there are LOTS
of 3B1's/7300's out there and one of the biggest plusses to owning one are
the many helpful people out there on the net (-: thanks guys :-) ....you
certainly will be in good company if you get one!

::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff at oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2987        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff