AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1

Pim Zandbergen pim at ctisbv.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 04:49:36 AEST 1988

In article <441 at uport.UUCP> keith at uport.UUCP (Keith Hankin) writes:
>In article <145 at carpet.WLK.COM> bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>>AT&T's uugetty doesn't get into debates with an intelligent modem who wants
>>to talk about answering the phone.
>
>Microport's uugetty is THE SAME as AT&T's uugetty.  Perhaps you were trying
>the uugetty on a ttyM device rather than tty device.  Microport has not
>added any special hooks into uugetty for the ttyM devices (just the standard
>AT&T code).

Currently, Microport is shipping Unix System V release 3.0,
while AT&T is shipping release 3.1. I'm not sure about the 386,
but on a 3b2 the UUCP's that come with release 3.0 and 3.1
are NOT THE SAME.

The Enhanced Basic Networking Utilities from release 3.1 and later
let you specify things like:
	ACU tty52,M - 2400 hayes \T
in your Devices file and
	hayes	=,-,	"" \M\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c
in your Dialers file.

This will make cu and uucico open /dev/tty52 without waiting
for carrier, setting clocal while dialing and -clocal when a connection
has been established. This way, you only need a regural device
(one that blocks if DCD is low)
And because you can program your modem to have DCD high only when
a connection is active, incoming RING's will not be heard by
(uu)getty.

This, in my opninion, is the most elegant and efficient way to
enable dial-in and dial-out on the same line.