AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1

Richard Pettit rich at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Wed Aug 31 01:02:57 AEST 1988

In article <171 at banzai.UUCP> john at banzai.UUCP (John Canning) writes:
>In article <145 at carpet.WLK.COM> bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>
>Bill also mentioned that the VP/ix from AT&T works.  The one experience I
>had with it resulted in a big mess in the free list.  I'd hate to see
>what Microport's version does.

Hmmm.  Strange, when I used VP/ix (second beta release) way back in
July of 1987, I got Microport windows to work (with the mouse), Ventura
desk top publishing (with the mouse), and all of the Microsoft paint,
and viewgraph crap as well.  In fact, SideKick even worked!  And this
was on a '386 box that I assembled from spare parts, complete with one
of the first post-beta '386 chips and a 10MHz '287.

I'm finding it REAL DIFFICULT TO BELIEVE that the production product does
not function correctly on warrantied hardware.  I'm a little more inclined
to believe that the people using the systems don't function correctly.

Any other VP/ix users want to tell me that I'm full of crap ?

BTW:  I have used the 386 DOSMERGE. It'll run 'hello world'. That's about it.

Rich
--
rich at jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov