Large files on the Unix PC

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Dec 3 17:00:55 AEST 1988

In article <5466 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
|>size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.
|>The largest was about 1.4Meg.  Does anyone know what the real limit is?
|>Am I playing with fate by having files of this size?
|>I thought that Unix files were able to be much larger than this.
|>What is it about the UnixPC that makes a limit like this?

Well I wouldn't worry.  Generally the file size limit is governed by
the process' "ulimit".  On the UNIX pc it's set to: 2147483647, yes
the size of a "signed long".   And that's in blocks :-)

We have B-tree data and index files well over 25 megs on some UNIX PC
systems for our application!  Now if there was only a way to increase
the block size to something like 2048, instead of 512.  That would
certainly increase performance slightly!

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576