Large files on the Unix PC

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Dec 10 18:53:59 AEST 1988

Re: Ed Horch's question what UNIXpc OS version I'm running ...

I have the "standard" 3.51, no fixdisk.  This is a 3B1, 2MB motherboard,
67MB HD.

Actually, I believe the % point at which the icon appeared (and the message
window that popped up when I clicked on the gas gauge icon) is something
like 2%.

I usually like to have about 5MB free for those "unexpected" tasks that
always seem to need to be done; I've had the systems since 3rd Qtr 1987 and
it was only when I uucp'd the GNU distribution from osu-cis that I first saw
the icon.  I was pleased that "someone" (cron or smgr?) DID keep track of
that for me; the only other system I can recall that tracked high-water marks
like that was the TOPS-20 on a DECSYSTEM-20.

Thad Floryan [thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]