GETTYDEFS, etc. (babbling getty

rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM
Wed Jan 27 02:57:00 AEST 1988

>[babbling getty problems? - the poster does not specify, though that
> IS the title of the posting]

>Well, we're using SysV R3.0, so apparently it is not trivial.  (Wonder
>what kind of kernel support is needed and why AT&T didn't provide it?)
>--
>Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
>Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334
>Mercer College                  GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
>Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

  Yeah, right.....  "Why didn't AT&T provide it???"  How do you know that
they did not?  Excuse me, but this sounds like whining.  Although I have
not seen the source code for the getty that is provided with release 3.0
and later Unix system V, I have noticed that, upon an incorrect login
attempt, there is about a 5 second delay before it issues another login
attempt (older versions provided a much faster "login incorrect" message.
This will not prevent a "babbling getty" condition, but it will reduce the
impact on system I/O from the horrendous previous condition to almost
negligable.
  It seems to me that it is YOUR responsibility to not connect something
up that would do something like that to the system.  Yeah, blame AT&T for
your incorrect or incorrectly configured modem....

Randy