Mailing list announcement

Kathy Vincent kathy at bakerst.UUCP
Sun Jan 31 17:51:38 AEST 1988

In article <403 at zorch.UU.NET> scott at zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>As of a few days ago, I am running a public mailing list for the purpose of
>sending articles from the unix-pc News network to people who cannot get the
>unix-pc groups.  Send mail to me if you wish to be included on this list.
>
>As with any mailing list, if the readership gets high enough, Something
>Will Have To Be Done.  In the case of this list, the specific proposal is
>to gateway the unix-pc groups into comp.sys.att.  If you're interested in
>seeing this done, join the list; help me get the readership count high
>enough.

Actually - sorry and no offense intended - this strikes me as funny ...
because part of the original networking of the unix-pc groups included
sending news as mail to people who couldn't otherwise get directly
connected ...   In other words, that's always been a possibility.

It's easy enough to do - an entry in a sys file.  I would also be
happy to send the groups as mail - but only in the interest of getting
the information out to people who need it, NOT in the interest of adding
numbers to a mailing list.  Sending the groups as mail, as I see it,
takes care of the Something Having to Be Done because, if the purpose
is to get the information to people, it will have been gotten to people.
What further purpose does "gatewaying" (that nasty nonverb again)
the groups into comp.sys.att serve?

And I have yet to understand what gatewaying (...) does that cross-posting
doesn't.  Someone, please explain that to me.  In public - maybe I'm not
the only one who doesn't understand it.

Kathy Vincent ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy
              ------>  { favourite AT&T gateway }!wruxe!unix