Still problems with my line printer

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Thu Jul 21 11:40:47 AEST 1988

In article <1054 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>I have recently discovered that one of the files in /usr/spool/lp, namely
>/usr/spool/lp/FIFO was missing.  This is not a normal file but a named pipe.
>After learning that the mknod command is used to regenerate it, I tried again.
>Each time I remake /usr/spool/lp/FIFO, and then run lpsched, the FIFO
>disappears, and the scheduler still won't run.  I have tried various permissions
>and ownerships, but nothing seems to work.

Well, it looks like a regular file to me..  When I -l that file I don't
see any major and minor numbers,  just a size of 0.

Here is what it looks like on tarkus.

-rw-------  1 lp      other         0 Jul 17 23:06 /usr/spool/lp/FIFO

--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {att,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs