AT&T 605 terminal with AT&T 6386 DOS-under-UNIX?

G. Michael Vrbanac gmv at cbnews.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 14 23:21:29 AEST 1988

In article <1095 at woton.UUCP>, riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
> We are in the process of evaluating an AT&T 6386 running Simultask-386
> (aka VP/ix), which lets us run DOS under Unix.  This requires the use
> of a supplement to termcap/terminfo which maps between DOS i/o and what
> a terminal understands.
>
> We're pulling our hair out trying to find terminals and configuration
> files which will let us run DOS satisfactorily from a serial line.
> (The complications caused by incompatible character sets, screen sizes
> and key combinations get to be pretty ugly.)  One of the few terminals
> which Simultask-386 claims to support is the AT&T 605.  Unfortunately
> its config file (/usr/vpix/term/605) contains the following caveat:

	text deleted

> Does anyone know any more about this?  Is there any chance that the ROM
> bug has been or will be fixed?  How much of a problem does this cause in
> practice?  (We don't yet have our hands on a 605 terminal.)

I have a 6386, UNIX, VPIX (a.k.a. Simul-Task) and a 605 terminal.  The
setup screen for the 605 has four choices for "Terminal Mode" which are:
norm, XT, AT1 and AT2.  Norm is regular old ascii and the other three are
flavors of IBM PC keyboards.  I have never been able to make it talk to
UNIX (nor VPIX either, for that matter) in any of the PC keyboard scan-code
modes.  The only thing that talks is "norm" mode which obviates the advantages
of the 605.  I have not been able to locate any documentation, guidelines
or directives on how to make it work.

Mike Vrbanac
{att!}cblpf!gmv