AT&T 605 terminal with AT&T 6386 DOS-under-UNIX?

Prentiss Riddle riddle at woton.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 02:32:01 AEST 1988

We are in the process of evaluating an AT&T 6386 running Simultask-386
(aka VP/ix), which lets us run DOS under Unix.  This requires the use
of a supplement to termcap/terminfo which maps between DOS i/o and what
a terminal understands.

We're pulling our hair out trying to find terminals and configuration
files which will let us run DOS satisfactorily from a serial line.
(The complications caused by incompatible character sets, screen sizes
and key combinations get to be pretty ugly.)  One of the few terminals
which Simultask-386 claims to support is the AT&T 605.  Unfortunately
its config file (/usr/vpix/term/605) contains the following caveat:

>> * NOTE: To fix keyboard mapping problem in 605 ROM, we no longer use
>> *       The 605 in PC compatible mode.  (+,-; /,*; keys are reversed)
>> *       If the rom is fixed someday remove the following and change
>> *       pccompat to y in section iii. In the meantime, we introduce a
>> *       special type of pccompat - k.   k means I'm a dumb terminal
>> *       but I use scan codes so I send 8 bit chars.

Does anyone know any more about this?  Is there any chance that the ROM
bug has been or will be fixed?  How much of a problem does this cause in
practice?  (We don't yet have our hands on a 605 terminal.)

And if anyone is happily running DOS under Unix from remote terminals,
could you please let us know what your solution is?

-- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
-- riddle%woton.uucp at cs.utexas.edu  uunet!ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!woton!riddle
-- Shriners Burns Institute, 610 Texas Ave. Rm. 4-8, Galveston, TX 77553 USA
-- telephone (409)-761-4701			FAX (409)-761-4003