6386 WGS - What does the suffix 'WGS' mean?

Jeffrey P. Horvath apxpecc at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Sat Jul 16 07:18:20 AEST 1988

In article <5282 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> cem at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Malloy) writes:
>In article <25057 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, brand at janus.uucp (Graham Brand) writes:
>> I have seen the suffix WGS appended to both the 6386 and the older
>> 6300 machines. Is it an acronym for something and, if so, what?
>
>WGS is indeed an acronym. It stands for Work Group System.  The older

I think people should be clear about the use of the word "acronym" versus
"abbreviation".  Based on WEBSTER's Collegiate Dictionary,
an acronym is a word formed from the initial letter or letters of each of
the successive parts or major parts of  a compound term (as "radar" or "snafu").
An abbreviation is the shortened form of a written word or phrase.
In my opinion, WGS is an abbreviation, NOT an acronym.  I feel
too many people within AT&T are quick to call their abbreviations acronyms
without realizing that there is a world of difference between the two.