6386 WGS - What does the suffix 'WGS' mean?

John Roberts jroberts at attvcr.UUCP
Sat Jul 16 02:09:34 AEST 1988

In article <25057 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, brand at janus.uucp (Graham Brand) writes:
> I have seen the suffix WGS appended to both the 6386 and the older
> 6300 machines. Is it an acronym for something and, if so, what?

It stands for Work Group System, a rather useless modifier.  However, the
intent is to stress the Work Group concept which is used by AT&T to categorize
products and integration strategies for various levels of applications.  The
Work Groups are: PC, Departmental, Campus, Production, and Corporate, and
include datacomm stuff as well as computers.

This is probably more than you cared to hear, but if you want a multi-hour
presentation, I'm sure your friendly AT&T rep would be pleased to oblige.
( more than one ;^} )

--
John M. Roberts            AT&T Canada  Vancouver  BC
(604) 689-8911             {alberta,uw-beaver}!ubc-cs!attvcr!jroberts