Unixpc DWB and UA stuff

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at elgar.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 07:27:47 AEST 1988

In article <683 at hodge.UUCP> rusty at hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
>Also, you can kill off the smgr and just use 'cron' instead.  I do.

Cron's work is just part of what smgr does.  Instead of smgr, I run
cron, update, and errdemon all the time, and usually run icus!lenny's
sysinfo program when I'm logged in (I modified it to display the date
& time).

Conveniently, cron and update are supplied with the Unix PC, but
errdemon wasn't.  I wrote a simple version, available for the asking.

Trivia:  the write(1) command sends messages to a user logged in on the
console by *WRITING* to /dev/error and letting smgr put the pop-up
window on the screen.  Somebody at CT was on drugs when they came up
with *that* idea.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.