7300 software

Dave Brower daveb at llama.rtech.UUCP
Wed Jul 27 12:53:24 AEST 1988

In article <263 at lokkur.UUCP> scs at lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) writes:
>In article <7235 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com writes:
>>I have it on good authority that the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC 3B1 is binary
>>compatible with the Motorola 6300 and several other systems which were
>>also manufactured by Convergent.  Haven't tried it personally since I
>>only have several 3B1 and 7300 systems.
>
>This is certianly true (via a friends experience) of the MiniFrame.
>Recently we were looking for an Ingres for the Unix-PC, and asked RTI about
>the MiniFrame version.  They said no, it needed a couple of drivers
>that weren't on the Unix-PC.  They said is wasn't difficult to do, but
>they weren't going to bother.  Can't really argue with 'em...

Heh.  News to me.  I'd expect the Miniframe version to work fine.  I've
been tempted to run it myself at home, but never worked up the gumption
to send 20M via 1200 baud uucp...

I routinely move binaries between the 7300 and the miniframe sitting
next to it at home.  The only trick is that the miniframe doesn't have a
shared library, so you can't link on the 7300 using it.  The miniframe
makes a nice tape drive and archiver, at least until I can get SCSI-ed.

-dB
"Ready when you are Raoul!"
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb at rtech.com <- FINALLY!