Questions on SCSI device interfacing...

Mike Smith ems at Apple.COM
Fri Jul 29 11:02:26 AEST 1988

In article <698 at viscous> brianm at sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>In article <704 at hodge.UUCP> rusty at hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
>>
>>A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
>>connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't
>
>Simplest reason is the SCSI has about 1/2 of its lines as ground.
>This allows them to be strung out great distances from the machine.
>With the Mac Interface (Most Amiga drives also) you have to keep the
>drive really close to the computer.

You must have a different definition of 'really close' than I do.  I've
seen Mac drives on cables about 10 feet long.  I *THINK* it will go the
full 20 ft. in the spec., but haven't personally seen it.

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)