IDT Systems: SCSI Bus support for UNIX pc (product desc. -- *LONG*)

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Tue Jul 19 23:46:46 AEST 1988

In article <1127 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>Which reminds me.  There's no way (as of yet) to go over 4Mb total
>RAM, right -- 2Mb on the motherboard and 2Mb on a *single* card?

It's my understanding that the 4M limit is *deeply embedded* in the design of
the 3b1/7300's MMU -- and it's made from discrete chips, right?  I'm not a
hardware person so I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I think asking
for more than 4M is asking for too much.  It would require lobotomizing the
current CPU *and* MMU and substituting new ones.  If a hardware guru out there
knows how to do this *I'll* certainly be impressed!

I would *ADORE* a large screen.  Since I have a Mac too an Appletalk interface
would be a blast, but I don't know how many other people are in the same boat.
If a multi-port serial card were reasonably priced I'd buy it.  I need an EIA
card, but have always been bothered by the price.  You can buy a Taiwanese-
Generic-Cloneburger serial port card for a PC for the whopping sum of $35.
They work.  They work with UNIX.  (I use one with Venix all the time.)  In my
view the cost of the 3b1 EIA card is simply outrageous!!

Question about the SCSI driver:  Will it support a Bernoulli?
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \