UNIX pc fan 27CFM vs. 34CFM and 12VDC vs. 120VAC?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Mon Jul 11 15:29:18 AEST 1988

In article <136 at csanta.UUCP> greg at csanta.UUCP (Root) writes:

|>Lenny, one more question about this:
|>You say a program gets a memory dump and then does the system crash?
|>Is it always the same program (or a version of it) that does this?
|>I know I was able to crash my UNIX PC on demand back at the 3.0 level
|>with some sick pointer stuff.  I doubt it, but perhaps this is related.

No I said it get's a "memory fault, signal 8".  Usually the program dumps
core.  (ie. Memory fault - core dumped).  I see core files laying around
all over.  The system hasn't crashed because of this, unless the NMI (parity
error) was in the kernel, then probably the system would panic and die.

The pointer stuff and this is unrelated, you were right about that.

My problem is either heat, bad memory chip, or a combonation of both.

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \