Sick Hard Drive Controller?

A Mayer mayerar at pyuxe
Thu Jul 21 23:23:04 AEST 1988

HELP!! PLEASE.

A couple of months ago the 20M drive on my ATT 7300 stopped
working.  I just installed a Seagate ST-251-1 last night.
I ran the format from the diagnostic disk and all went well.
Then the Bad Block check ran, Pass 1 found about 8 or 9 bad blocks.
Pass 2 found about 5 more bad blocks then crapped out.  Now I cant
even reformat the drive.  This was a brand new drive, could the
problem be that the controller has gone bad?
Following are the various error messages I received.

Hard drive restore failed           <<-----This happened on retry
        ** ERROR **
Test:    Hard disk test (drive 0)
Subtest: Surface Test
Pass: 1
Error: Winchester: Can't Recal: Responce=FF

Hard drive restore failed           <<-----trying to format again
Formatting cylender 0
        ** ERROR **
Test:    Hard disk test (drive 0)
Subtest: Format.
Error: Winchester: Error during disk format: Responce=ff

Hard drive restore failed           <<-----runing processor test
        ** ERROR **
Test:    Page protection tests
Subtest: DMA to invalid page test
pass: 4
Error: Can't Recal hard drive, test is aborted.

I would be grateful for any help!
			Thank you in advance,
				Andy Mayer

		Andrew J. Mayer
		BELLCORE

{ariel,burl,clyde,floyd,gamma,harpo,ihnp4,mhuxl,rutgers}!pyuxe!mayerar