6386 <-> 3B1 floppy compatibility?

W.HYLAND wmh at mtuxo.UUCP
Wed Jun 1 03:07:05 AEST 1988

> Does Robert Arrigo or anyone else by any chance have a "man" page or
> other documentation on /etc/.cpiopc?  Or simply pointers on its use?
> And can anyone explain what this extremely important program is doing
> hidden in /etc with a "." in front of its name?  Thanks.
>
> -- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
> -- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
> -- riddle%woton.uucp at cs.utexas.edu  {ihnp4,uunet}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

The /etc/.cpiopc works as documented in the 6300plus User Reference Manual.
This is where it came from and was included to facilitate the installation
of 6300plus applications. [Note: 6300plus application binaries work without
the need for modification on UNIX System V/386 Release 3.1 and later.]

This was undocumented since Release 3.1 and later use a different installation
mechanism and documenting the cpiopc method would continue to promote the old
habit.