AT&T WGS 6386

W.HYLAND wmh at mtuxo.UUCP
Wed Jun 1 03:32:31 AEST 1988

In article <993 at hsi.UUCP>, stevens at hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> In article <649 at auvax.UUCP>, louis at auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
> > Look at the current issue (May I think) of UNIX World.  There is a
> > review there -- very favourable.  We have one and are very impressed.
> > If you want more in depth impressions, e-mail me.
>
> That review is pretty pathetic in my opinion.  It left me wanting
> a lot more detailed information than was provided.  The article
> claims the 6386 is faster than both the PS/2 Model 80 and the Compaq -
> OK, but how much faster and how do they do it ?  There was also a

The article was an excellent start. If you care to have more detail, I am
sure the editors of UNIX World would be more than happy to respond with
additional follow-up if they are made aware of your interest and the interest
of those like you. Perhaps you could suggest a review of the new Release 3.2
software product which promises to merge XENIX compatibility.

> mention about some troff previewing on its terminals, but the article
> also said neither nroff or troff was provided.  I'd like to know a

AT&T does not sell an nroff/troff package but a number are available from
3rd party outfits, one of them is Elan software in CA. I believe.

> *lot* more about the UNIX that comes with it - are streams provided
> for no charge, or an expensive add-on ?  How about RFS ?  What kind

The $695 product includes the Base System Package, Editing Package (vi, etc.),
Remote Terminal Package (i.e. terminfo. termcap is in Base System), Security
Admin Package (i.e. this is crypt and decrypt), a 2 KB File System Utility
(i.e. an optional file system type with a 2 KB blocksize targeted to server
applications), and a Networking Package which includes STREAMS, RFS and the
shared network support utilities library. Documents include the Product
Overview, the Documentation Roadmap, the Operations/System Administration
Guide, the User Reference Manual, the STREAMS Primer, and Release Notes.

The Software Development Set addon for $695 provides the C programming
language utilities issue 4.1, with the advanced programming utilities
and C programmer's productivity tools. You get SCCS, lex, yacc, profilers,
debuggers, and all that fun stuff. Also included is the Extended Terminal
Interface, ETI, which provides a color enhanced curses/terminfo, higher
level libraries to same, and a TAM transition library for all you UNIX PC
users. Documents include the programmers guides and programmers reference
manuals as well as release notes for the SDS itself.

The best news is that both sets are available for $995 when purchased at
the same time!

> of networking interface - TLI I assume ?  Any TCP/IP ?  When is the

True. TLI is supported. TCP/IP is sold by MICOM - witness the UNIX World
article.

> release that allows Xenix programs to run going to be available ?

AT&T states that this will be available in August.