Does anybody know anything about PMX/Term from AT&T?

Lou Major major at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sun Jun 26 13:41:25 AEST 1988

In article <738 at cgh.UUCP> paul at cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
>In article <1387 at lznv.ATT.COM> psc at lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>>
>>I don't know of any AT&T products that let a PC running MS-DOS
>>communicate with uucp on a UNIX system.  You could run PMX/PC on your
>>UNIX system, and send mail to it from Access PLUS.  AT&T Mail *does*
>>know uucp, so you also could run Access PLUS on your PC to call up the
>>service, and go through a UNIX system that's registered with the
>>service.
>
>Gee, that's too bad, I was rather hoping that STARMAIL did this.  Maybe
>I have finally found someone who can explain how all of these AT&T E-mail
>products work.

There is a program called UUPC, which can act as a (almost) full uucp
site.  I'm sure that it will work through a serial port, as well as through
a modem.  The only things it doesn't do is
 (a) send a file in response to a request from the 'calling' node.
 (b) route mail past itself.  All mail not for the localhost goes to
     the "mail server" node.
 (c) verify usernames against a /etc/passwd file.

It seems as though this might fill some of your needs, though not
all of them.  The author(s) of uupc can be reached at
  sl at van-bc.uucp
 skl at van-bc.uucp
  (boht skl and sl)

I can answer any informal questions, as can a couple of my friends who
actually USE it within their own internal networks.  E-Mail me for
additional information.