AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)

Gary S. Trujillo gnews at gnosys.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 15:09:30 AEST 1988

In article <109 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> However, in order to have access to BSD source you need a UNIX source license,
> which these folks presumably did not have. Also, I would not be surprised
> to find out that vi/ex contains large chunks of ed source.

Well, the story I heard, and it may have been from Mark Horton, who worked
on the thing for two or three years after Bill Joy moved on to other projects
at Berkeley, was that ex/vi *is* covered by the AT&T license EVEN THOUGH IT
CONTAINS NOT A SINGLE LINE OF CODE FROM ED!!  The fact is that they started
by hacking on the ed code, and even though they hollowed the thing out and
dropped in a whole new entity, throwing away everything they had to begin,
this is just the way the lawyers interpreted the letter of the agreement.

Sigh.

--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst