AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon Jun 6 22:03:54 AEST 1988

In article <395 at hotlr.ATT> chuck at hotlr.UUCP (54316 - C J Luciano hotld) writes:

 > > The reason I say this is that there have been other, commercially more
 > > significant, UNIX-lookalikes which AT&T did not bother. Also, when PC/VI
 > > first made its appearance, a friend of mine in the Boston area told me
 > > he had heard from a friend who had access to both UNIX and PC/VI source
 > > code that the sources resembled each other so closely, down to flaws in
 > > the coding style, that he was conviced PC/VI was a rip-off.
 >
 >I believe that AT&T would not be the one who should be concerned here since
 >VI is licensed by AT&T from University of California at Berkeley. Therefore
 >it's UCB's problem.

However, in order to have access to BSD source you need a UNIX source license,
which these folks presumably did not have. Also, I would not be surprised
to find out that vi/ex contains large chunks of ed source.

UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp at dcs.UUCP                         TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD