sysinfo data structure in Sys V kernel

Rich Sands rms at gubba.SPDCC.COM
Wed Jun 15 01:38:28 AEST 1988

I'm trying to build some performance monitoring tools under Sys V R2 on
a PC6300 PLUS.  I came across the sysinfo data structure found in
/usr/include/sys/sysinfo.h, which has a number of counters that seem to
be incrememted when various interesting kernel events take place.

Questions:

1) Am I right in guessing that at each clock tick one of the eight
counters in the cpu[] array and wait[] array is incremented, depending
on the cpu or wait state at the time of the clock interrupt?

2) What is the event that triggers incrementing of the following
counters: swapin, swapout, bswapin, bswapout, runque, runocc, swpque,
swpocc, dirblk, rcvint, xmtint, mdmint? The others I think I've figured
out. In particular, how can I use the changing values of runque and
runocc to generate the load average?

3) What is the difference between the syswait structure and the wait[]
array in the sysinfo structure?

4) What is getting tallied in the syserr structure?

Thanks in advance,

--
        --  rms

UUCP: {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gubba!rms
Internet: rms at gubba.spdcc.com	Compuserve: 71360,1067	BIX: richsands