PRICES SOAR!

Timothy Reed txr98 at wash08.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 04:36:36 AEST 1988

In article <745 at lakesys.UUCP> steven at lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
>	So $1200 buys me 3.0 - then $2400 upgrades me to 3.1 then ANOTHER
>	$2400 takes me to 3.2!  So for $6000 I get the lastest code.  If I
>	want binaries for a specific processor it's $400 bucks a pop per
>	upgrade.

Hey, Steve, $6 grand isn't so bad,  5.3.1 source has to be purchased  in
the same  manner  (5.2 ->  5.3  -> 5.3.1  or  whatever) would  cost  our
non-profit institution about $25000.  Why is src purchase done this way?
I have no experience  with src purchase of  other operating systems,  or
purchase of other flavors  of Unix, so I  don't know if this  purchasing
thru the rev levels  is common.   Is it really  blatant gouging like  it
seems, or are there a greater truth  behind it?  Is having old  versions
of the OS a desirable thing (other than it being cheaper) or what?