PRICES SOAR!

Steven Goodman steven at lakesys.UUCP
Thu Jun 16 21:13:08 AEST 1988

	I am amazed -

		Recently while obtaining source lisence from AT&T for
	a 386 box I saw source code prices soar faster then ram prices.

		We ordered ( from a var ) Unix 3.1 for the 386 and at
	that time source for 3.0 was available, so assuming that I could
	always "update" to 3.1 or better I went ahead.  After waiting
	and waiting for this to arrive, I called the people at AT&T to
	see what happened to our code.  Seems that not only is 3.1
	avaialable now but 3.2 as well.  So what the heck, might as well
	get the lastest code right?

		Seems as if AT&T no longer wants to sell to Universities,
	seeing as their price scheduling has gotten "out of line" in my
	opinion.  To get 3.2 I am told I must first buy 3.0 then upgrade
	to 3.1 and again to 3.2 (can't just say, "hey guys send me 3.2")
	So $1200 buys me 3.0 - then $2400 upgrades me to 3.1 then ANOTHER
	$2400 takes me to 3.2!  So for $6000 I get the lastest code.  If I
	want binaries for a specific processor it's $400 bucks a pop per
	upgrade.

		While talking to this individual at AT&T he tells me that
	Universities can expect to pay more and more and more for such code.
	So apparently AT&T has desided that Universities are no longer
	important to them (by the way this is Marquette University - Milwaukee
	Wisconsin).  This is AFTER AT&T desided that they would no longer
	support a "discount" computer purchase program for student here.

		From all of this I would guess we (Universities) are now
	being thought of as no more then another source of income for AT&T.
	Use to be shipped this stuff for little more then the cost of
	producing the tapes and handling, I suppose with the AT&T system
	it's quite possible that it now costs $6000 to ship a tape out.

		I would really like a logical explaination of this madness.
	We have delt with AT&T for many years and it seems recently a new
	attitude is taking place.  If someone from AT&T can answer this
	please write:

	Steven Goodman - System Administrator
	Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
	Marquette University
	Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53233

		It's bad enough that we have to pay more for this code,
	but to remove pricing for students as well?  I definately see
	us doing less business with them in the future.  In the past
	local business people use to call and ask us about our experiences
	with AT&T seeing as they were considering a machine and they felt
	we are a good source of information for such data.  This new
	"attitude" AT&T has will certainly change my opinion - and my
	advice to such businesses.  Quite honestly, I am giving up on
	AT&T.  They are definately making efforts to make them the wrong
	choice for us.

		Anyone else find this pattern taking place?  Does AT&T
	seem less responsive to your needs?  With all the machines we
	have around we spend MULTIPLE FIGURES a year for support, for
	that cost alone we should get this code for free not to mention
	making available MINIMAL discounts for student purchases.

--
Steven M. Goodman
Lake Systems -  Milwaukee, Wisconsin