AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)

Alex White alex at mks.UUCP
Wed Jun 29 04:12:15 AEST 1988

In article <166 at skep2.ATT.COM>, wcs at skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) writes:
> b) MKS has ported some UNIX tools and reimplemented others and is presumably
> 	following the rules for the products they use,

Since several people on the net have commented about and questioned the
origin of our products, I feel we should reply.  I am a director
of MKS, so you can take this as official and stop wondering.

The MKS Toolkit, MKS Awk and MKS Vi contain NO, and I repeat NO, part
whatsoever of UNIX.  They are all complete re-implementations.

We have licensed MKS RCS from Walter Tichey and paid a licensing fee.
The parts of RCS that normally rely on UNIX code [diff, diff3] are our own
code.

We are distributers for SoftQuad Publishing Software and have ported it to DOS.
Softquad Publishing Software is the official new release of AT&T Documenters
Workbench, and hence does indeed contain licensed software from AT&T.
The DOS Release of SQPS contains several utility programs which come from the
MKS Toolkit.