3 1/2" on the 7300

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Sun Jun 12 09:09:24 AEST 1988

In article <2422 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward at engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett)
writes:
|>In article <213 at toylnd.UUCP> dca at toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
|>]I wondered if the 7300 >could take a 3 1/2" drive...
|>]
|>]Stress test time.  Formatted it like a 5 1/4", no problem.  Copied an FD
|>]entry from /usr/lib/iv and doubled the number of cylinders, formatted
|>]again no problem.  Mounted it and copied files till it was full, then
|>]tried to use some of the last copied files, no problem.
|>
|>Yes, but how much data could you put on the 3.5" disks? Unless it's
|>substantially more than what we get on 5.25" disk (360K?), this
|>whole conversion is little more than a novelty.

If he doubled the amount of cylinders as in says in his article (see above
quoted section) that means you will get double the space... about 720K.

-Lenny

BTW: You have to realize that 3.5" disks cost about twice as much as 5.25"
     ones... so you'll get twice the space at twice the costs... One wonders
     how much savings that is.. (Other than you sanity for inserting and
     removing disks)

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S