3 1/2" on the 7300

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at elgar.UUCP
Sat Jun 11 16:15:30 AEST 1988

In article <213 at toylnd.UUCP> dca at toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>					Tried formatting a disk with 10
>sectors/cyl ala. some of the 5 1/4" distribution disks, uh uh, no good, hangs
>in formatting.

Bummer.  And strange, too, since the 3.5" drives are actually spec'ed
at 800K, while the 5.25's are only rated at 360.

>					Now I'm going to have to figure
>out how to hook it up so I can switch between the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2
>(visions of 36 pin centronics switch boxes dancing in my head).

Only the drive-select signal would have to be switched (that's what
it's there for), the other 33 pins can be daisy-chained to all floppy
drives.  The floppy driver chips should be able to handle two drives
with no problem at all, maybe even four drives.  But you'll always
have to manually flip the switch, so only one can be in use (open) at
a time.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads