3 1/2" on the 7300 (Reposting of original)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Wed Jun 15 13:49:36 AEST 1988

In article <1944 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard at uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
|>}If he doubled the amount of cylinders as in says in his article (see above
|>}quoted section) that means you will get double the space... about 720K.
|>}
|>}-Lenny
|>}
|>}BTW: You have to realize that 3.5" disks cost about twice as much as 5.25"
|>}     ones... so you'll get twice the space at twice the costs... One wonders
|>}     how much savings that is.. (Other than you sanity for inserting and
|>}     removing disks)
|>
|>Reducing the pain of backing the system up is what it's all about.
|>I'm still waiting for an affordable tape system.  But a simple
|>doubling of diskette capacity is real tempting.
|>
|>Also, I think 3.5" disks have been found to be more reliable.
|>
|>Some time back someone posted an article about having installed a
|>3.5" drive on their unixpc and explained all about, including the
|>configuration files.  Perhaps someone could pull it out of the
|>archives and repost it.
|>
|>Richard

Here's the article that started this whole discussion... there weren't
any configuration files, but it should be as easy as:

#sccs	"@(#)iv:fdfmt-mini.nl	1.1"

iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FDnl-mini
mkfs /dev/fp021
dismount -f > /dev/null 2>&1

---
/usr/lib/iv/FDnl-mini:

#sccs	"@(#)iv/lib:FDnl-mini	1.1"
type		FD
name		Floppy
cylinders	80
heads		2
sectors		8
steprate	0
singledensity
$
$
$
0
1
$
$

--

Original article follows:

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Software Systems      IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S