PC6300 battery

Bill Pechter pechter at dasys1.UUCP
Sun Jun 5 02:29:28 AEST 1988

In article <10107 at mcdchg.UUCP> heiby at mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>I have been having trouble with my PC 6300 losing time, but have
>discounted the battery, as I leave my system on 24 hr/day.  Are there
>any other possibilities for rectifying a slow clock?
>--
>Ron Heiby, heiby at mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
>"Failure is one of the basic Freedoms!" The Doctor (in Robots of Death)

If you're running AT&T's MS-DOS version 3.2 it's possibly a software bug!
They read the clock on boot and write back to it -- often losing as much as 59
seconds per boot.  I was losing a few minutes per week because of reboting
during software development.  I recommend a file called biopatch16.arc
available from the Right Choice BBS in NJ (201) 974-8317 and possibly from
AT&T's support bbs (201)769-5616.  The program patches the boot code in the bios
to eliminate this bug -- which HAS BEEN reported to AT&T (and they are doing
NOTHING about it.  (Their hardware techs didn't know and were going to swap my
motherboard to fix the problem -- they were getting deluged with motherboard
swaps after v3.2 hit the 6300's (and 6300+'s).

--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701