diffs to get gcc-1.22 running on un

Bob Rose rrr at naucse.UUCP
Wed Jun 22 03:04:30 AEST 1988

In article <31200025 at urbsdc>, aglew at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

> >Note the kernel has a bug in it (what AT&T produce something buggy,
> >never ;-) so if for some reason the make blows up (usally you see
> >assembly code spit out on the screen) just type `make' again, or
> >`make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-O -Bstage1/"' if it blows up on making
> >itself (it rarely blows up on making itself though.)
> >                                  Have fun.
> >                                  -bob
>
> Good, I'm glad that somebody else noticed this bug.
> Has anyone any idea of where it comes from? It has caused
> me to almost completely lose faith in my 3B1 (since compiling
> compilers is just about the only thing I do on it)

I have found the fix to this bug. Type in `ksh.' Yes, I know you
are already probably running ksh, but run ksh on top of ksh, then
the bug goes away. Is this stupid or what. I notice that I also
have to do this if I run `compressdir' on a large tree. If I type
compressdir and am not in a `sub-ksh' it (as in ksh) core dumps.
But if I am in a `sub-ksh' compressdir works fine.

P.S. Don't you just love it when assembly code poors out on the screen
and you ain't even doing anything with the assembler or compiler!!!

P.S-2 a posted the diffs to get up gcc and forgot `alloca.s.' Here
it is (I've been getting all sorts of mail for it. Don't you just
hate tem' jecks that post sources or diffs to the net and forget
a file :-( Sorry :^)

--------------cut here------------------
	file	"alloca.s"
	global	alloca
alloca:
	mov.l	(%sp)+,%a1	# pop return addr from top of stack
	mov.l	(%sp)+,%d0	# pop size in bytes from top of stack
	add.l	&R%1,%d0	# round size up to long word
	and.l	&-4,%d0		# mask out lower two bits of size
	sub.l	%d0,%sp		# allocate by moving stack pointer
	tst.b	P%1(%sp)	# stack probe to allocate pages
	mov.l	%sp,%a0		# return pointer as pointer
	mov.l	%sp,%d0		# return pointer as int to avoid disaster
	add.l	&-4,%sp		# new top of stack
	jmp	(%a1)		# not a normal return
	set	S%1,64		# safety factor for C compiler scratch
	set	R%1,3+S%1	# add to size for rounding
	set	P%1,-132	# probe this far below current top of stack