Want to buy 2 MB memory board for UNIX PC

Mike Patnode mpatnode at polyslo.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 14:19:06 AEST 1988

In article <342 at manta.UUCP> brant at manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
%In article <1030 at woton.UUCP> riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
%>> We are looking to buy a new or used 2 Megabyte RAM expansion board for the
%>> UNIX PC [...]
%>A company called Piiceon makes its own 2-Mb memory board for the UNIX
%>PC.
%
%I have a little more information on this topic to share.  I spoke with
%the Piiceon (sp?) sales rep, and he told me the following:
%
%1. The mem boards they currently supply are hard-wired to a low-end
%address of 512Kb.  That is, the boards supply memory in the
%addressable range 512K to 2Mb+512Kb.  Thus the boards aren't quite
%right for machines such as mine, with 2Mb on the motherboard.
%Translation: we'd have to let Craig Votava loose on them with his
%soldering tools.
%
%2. Piiceon is very soon (a few days?) starting a production run of
%various models of mem board upgrades with different addressable memory
%ranges, including those that start at 2Mb.
%
%3. Piiceon has made an arrangement to sell all their boards to
%Technology Resource Center (TRC).  Apparently, TRC bought out AT&T's
%stock of UNIXpc's to sell on their own.  They want to be the sole
%supplier of the mem upgrades manufactured by Piiceon.
%
%4. I was assured that the upgrades would be "very competitively
%priced" by TRC, whatever the heck that means.
%
%5. The sales rep (Rod Gilchrist) asked me to have people direct their
%inquiries to:
%
%	Ellis Goldberg
%	Technology Resource Center
%	+1 213 934 9611 (Los Angeles)
%	428 North Formosa Ave
%	Los Angeles, CA 90036
%
%Who knows, maybe these Piiceon/TRC folks may end up taking over for
%the now-defunct (apparently) Amperfax.
%--
%Brant Cheikes
%University of Pennsylvania
%Department of Computer and Information Science
%ARPA: brant at linc.cis.upenn.edu, UUCP: ...drexel!manta!brant

I recently got TRC's catalogue and it lists the 2MB RAM expansion as
$1,495.

Other products include the following:
	1. Dual rs232 ports		$395
	2. Dual rs232 with 512k		$795
	3. 5 slot expansion bus		$1699
	4. 23MB external tape		$1369
	5. 40MB upgrade for 7300	$2995
	6. 67MB upgrade for 7300	$3395
	7. DOS-73 coprocessor		$795

I have no relationship what-so-ever with TRC.
--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode