mailx for an ATT 3B1

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Tue Mar 29 05:16:35 AEST 1988

In article <4529 at megaron.arizona.edu> lm at megaron.arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <1089 at unisec.usi.com> dpw at unisec.USI.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
> >It seems to me that mailx is a port from BSD /usr/ucb/[Mm]ail,  if so how
> >can it be AT&T proprietary?
>
> A)  Most BSD code is derived from AT&T code.
> B)  AT&T did a lot of work on their "port"; Mailx has many nifty features
>     not in BSD's Mail.

There is actually a mail system that supposedly has the look and feel of mailx.
It was written by Emmet P. Gray, who brought us that *very* nice goodie for
dealing with MS-DOS floppies he calls "mtools".  I have not used this mail
system a great deal (I mainly use Dave Taylor's "elm").  But when I did use it,
it felt a whole lot like Berkeley mail, which I have used for years and years.
I believe Emmet keeps an eye on comp.sys.att, so perhaps there's something from
him on its way.  Meanwhile here's the Readme file from Emmet's distribution.

--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst