UNIXpc discontinued...

Dave Klann davek at heurikon.UUCP
Fri Mar 11 01:03:33 AEST 1988

In article <373 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <371 at tsc.dec.com>, pete at tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>< In article <749 at gethen.UUCP>, isaac at gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinowitz) writes:
>< > ... But I wonder what would happen if
><
>< I certainly be interested to know if the machine is still going to be
>
>I am virtually certain that I have seen a CT ad with the little
>guy in it.  This was somewhat after AT&T stopped pushing them,
>and I think it was model "S/50" or something; it clearly had the
>same footprint.  Anybody else seen this?  It would have been
>a year or so ago...
>--
>Life : Stephen J. Friedl @ V-Systems, Inc./Santa Ana, CA   *Hi Mom*
>uucp : {kentvax, uunet, attmail, ihnp4!amdcad!uport}!vsi!friedl

Well, before this gets out of hand...  About a year ago (I forget the
exact date) AT&T made an announcement with CT that the two companies
signd an agreement to let Convergent market the UNIXpc directly.
The "CT UNIXpc" was indeed sold under the model name "S/50."  Last
spring, however, (I think it was about May) Convergent announced that
the product was "MD" (manufacturer discontinued).

At that point AT&T was still wondering what to do with the box
(actually, they probably knew what they were going to do, but it wasn't
public).  Then, I think it was May 18th, the fire sale (to employees)
was announced.  The rest is history...

Not to fan the flames of the rumor mill too much... Back when I bought
my UNIXpc (I was an AT&T employee then) there was some talk of AT&T
Teletype possibly picking up the production of the product if CT ever
pulled the plug.  ...Don't think it's too likely though; the '386 family
seems to be the machine of choice.

Oh well, I guess we can consider ourselves part of an elite group :---)

David