mounting floppy volume

Nic Bernstein nic at marque.mu.edu
Fri Mar 18 16:43:10 AEST 1988

In article <196 at anumb.UUCP> adh at anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) writes:
>In article <3443 at ece-csc.UUCP> chim at ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) writes:
>>Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
>>volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
>>option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?
>

>mount /dev/fp021 /mnt	#	/mnt can be any directory; should be empty.
>umount /dev/fp021	#	will fail if you are in the mount directory.

"dismount" is the preferred method on the 7300/3B1.  You may need to say
"dismount -f" although that should be the default.  I am not totally sure
why this is prefered, but I suspect that dismount does at least one "sync"
and properly sets the disk flags.

It should also be said, that the system is set up so that only the superuser
"root" can mount and dismount devices.

						- Roger
						- Using Nic's Account