Gnu Emacs 18.4[69] on a 3B2 running 3.1

Dennis Page denny at mcmi.UUCP
Sun Mar 6 15:37:15 AEST 1988

In article <7478 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl at triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>Hm, I'd kind of forgotten, but it seems that the MAXMEM constant has
>changed name in V.3 to MAXUMEM (User MEMory, there's also a MAXPMEM
>which would seem to have some relation to paging reclamation).

While maxmem has disappeared from the /etc/master.d/kernel file, it
still exists in the kernel's symbol table.  From /etc/sysdef:

  8192  maximum size of user's virtual address space in pages (MAXUMEM)
  8192  for package compatibility equal to MAXUMEM (MAXMEM)

MAXPMEM is used to limit the amount of physical memory that the kernel
will use.  Why they put this in, I don't know.  Testing smaller memory
preformence perhaps?

I have run 18.49 under both 3.1 and 3.1.1 using m-att3b.h and s-usg5-2-2.h
without problem (I cannot attest for 3.0 :-).

--
Denny Page

Martha, the Clones are loose again!	Don't just stand there... get a net!