Gnu Emacs 18.4[69] on a 3B2 running 3.1

Kim F. Storm storm at ambush.UUCP
Wed Mar 2 00:15:37 AEST 1988

In article <789 at wucs2.UUCP> dwex at wuccrc (David Wexelblat) writes:

>Also, when logged in remotely over StarLan, emacs does not work at all.
>It starts up, but does not draw the initial screen or the modeline.  It
>writes '(mark set)' where the minibuffer should be.  If any keys are pressed,
>the terminal (a Unix-PC) starts beeping like mad.  If I am lucky, it will
>respond to ^X-^C and go away.

We have exactly the same problem using emacs via cu on StarLan.

I have not tracked the problem down, but it seems that reading from a
'starlan tty' behaves differently from a normal tty.  The mark set
command is bound to the NUL key, so obviously emacs is constantly
reading NUL-characters from the starlan tty when no other input is
available.  If you are quick, you may be lucky to enter ^X ^C between
two reads and get out.

Could somebody please enlighten us concerning the differences between
a normal tty and a starlan (pseudo) tty ?

--
Kim F. Storm       UUCP: storm at ambush.dk (or ..!mcvax!diku!ambush!storm)
AmbraSoft A/S, Rojelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte, Denmark.  tel: +45 2424 111

		No news is good news, but nn is better!