3B1, 3B2, & 3B5

Eric Kozowski eric at magic4.UUCP
Thu Mar 3 10:06:10 AEST 1988

In article <953 at usl-pc.UUCP>, jpdres14 at usl-pc.UUCP (Collett Donald L) writes:

> I am considering purchasing a new computer within the next six months.  Can
> anyone tell me about or give me advice on AT&T's 3B(1/2/5)?  How many users
> can they run?  How's the security?  How fast are they?  Do they all run MsDos
> subprocesses?  What largest size hard disk will work with them?

First off, the 3B1 is a 68020 machine (not sure of the clock speed).  It can
support up to about 4 users.  This is the only one that you can run MeSsy-DOS
as a subprocess.  The 3B2 is a large line.  There is the 3B2/300, 3B2/310,
3B2/400, 3B2/500, 3B2/600.  The /300 supports around 10 users (light users)
and can have upto ~300M of disk.  The /600 can support almost 100 users and
have upto ~2G of disk.  The rest are somewhere in the middle.  The 3B5 is
a large machine, and from what it sounds like, it is bigger than you need.
Another machine you might consider is the 6386.  It is a 80386 based machine
that runs UNIX, MeSsy-DOS, or both.  I'm not quite sure of the specs, since
it is new, but it is FAST.  Also, UNIX for it uses the `386 in non-protected
mode, unlike OS/2 on the IBM PS/2 line.  It also supports multiple MeSsy-DOS
functions under UNIX.  I've used all of the above except the 6386 and the
3B2/500, and like them all.  Also, the /500 and /600 use a SCSI bus
that gives you almost limitless peripherials.  I hope I helped.

P.S.  if anybody out there sees errors in the above PLEASE correct them.

--
Eric Kozowski  AT&T GBS  Portland, Or        || I've made enough money to buy
(503)295-4250  2020 SW 4th  Suite 500 97201  || Miami, but I pissed it away