3B1, 3B2, & 3B5

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Sat Mar 5 04:23:32 AEST 1988

In article <164 at magic4.UUCP> eric at magic4.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) writes:

>First off, the 3B1 is a 68020 machine (not sure of the clock speed).  It can
>support up to about 4 users.

The 3B1 is a 10MHz 68010 (not 020) with a custom MMU.  It is a discontinued
product, but you can still find them if you look.  Check out the February
issues of Unix World.  There is an advertisement on p.30 for an outfit in
California that still has some (Technology Resource Center, L.A.) and on
p.83 there's an ad for an outfit in Georgia that has some (Digital Data
Systems, Marietta).  I know nothing else about either one of these
companies.  you can expect to pay a little over $2K for a fully configured
3B1 with Unix ans the development set.

I have a 3B1 (purchased locally last September) and I am very pleased with
it.

To run MeSsDOS, you must add a 8088 (?) coprocessor card to the 3B1.  I
have never felt the need to do this.  :-)

--
-- @work:
--	  {decwrl,ames,pyramid,prls}!mips!wilkes
--	           wilkes at mips.com