3B1, 3B2, & 3B5

Michael J. Farren farren at gethen.UUCP
Mon Mar 7 18:53:48 AEST 1988

In article <164 at magic4.UUCP> eric at magic4.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) writes:
>First off, the 3B1 is a 68020 machine (not sure of the clock speed).  It can
>support up to about 4 users.  This is the only one that you can run MeSsy-DOS
>as a subprocess.

The 3b1 uses a 68010 (at 10 MHz), NOT a 68020.  It can, indeed, run MS-DOS,
but only if you buy a rather expensive coprocessor board which is, in
essence, an MS-DOS computer on a board.

>Also, UNIX for [the 6386] uses the `386 in non-protected mode, unlike
>OS/2 on the IBM PS/2 line.

OS/2 is a '286 operating system, not a '386 system.  Comparisons between
OS/2 and a true '386 native Unix aren't really fair.  But then, I suppose,
life isn't fair.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate