3B1, 3B2, & 3B5

MJ Shannon mjs at kaiser.UUCP
Wed Mar 9 14:24:59 AEST 1988

In article <753 at gethen.uucp> farren at gethen.uucp (M. J. Farren) writes:
>In article <164 at magic4.UUCP> eric at magic4.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) writes:
>>First off, the 3B1 is a 68020 machine (not sure of the clock speed).  This
>>is the only one that you can run MeSsy-DOS as a subprocess.
>
>The 3b1 uses a 68010 (at 10 MHz), NOT a 68020.  It can, indeed, run MS-DOS,
>but only if you buy a rather expensive coprocessor board which is, in
>essence, an MS-DOS computer on a board.

This is correct, as amended.  The AT&T PC 6300 PLUS can also run a single
MS-DOS subprocess under the UNIX System V Release 2 (Version 2 and Version
2.5).  (The PC 6300 PLUS is almost an IBM-PC/AT clone; it differs in the
hardware for the 16-bit bus, as it was designed before IBM announced the
PC/AT.)

>>Also, UNIX for [the 6386] uses the `386 in non-protected mode, unlike
>>OS/2 on the IBM PS/2 line.
>
>OS/2 is a '286 operating system, not a '386 system.

Correct, as far as it goes.  To further clarify the state of the AT&T 6386:
it runs the UNIX System V Release 3.1 in full 80386 protected mode (@ either
16MHz or 20 MHz), and has the capability of running multiple MS-DOSes as
subprocesses to the UNIX system.

This information is all stated extremely clearly in the advertising.  I have
first hand information on both machines: I worked on both projects (and am
limited in just what I can say about any of AT&T's products, for what should
be extremely obvious reasons).

Eric, PLEASE get your facts straight before you make false claims against some
company's products.  Making such claims opens yourself up to slander/libel (I
can never remember which is which) cases against you....

Mike, thanks for shedding some unbiased light on Eric (and the net at large).

	Marty Shannon
	AT&T Bell Labs
	Liberty Corners, NJ
	201-580-5757