_AT&T 3B2/3B5 Driver Design Guide_ is *great*

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Fri Mar 4 20:29:15 AEST 1988

Netpeople,

     I'd like to put in a plug for a really fantastic resource to
you 3B people out there: The _AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Driver Design
Guide_.  This guide is packed with great info on your 3B2 and 3B5
kernel.  Table of contents is:

        1) Introduction
        2) Firmware implementation
        3) Kernel/Driver interface
        4) Driver configuration
        5) 3B2 computer dependent information
        6) 3B5 computer dependent information
        7) Diagnostics
        A) Tty subsystem
        B) Block I/O subsystem
        C) Sleep and wakeup example
        D) Self-configuration example
        E) Master file
        F) System file
        G) 3B2 computer edit_tbl command
        H) Registers
        I) 3B2 computer block device driver (*source!*)
        J) 3B2 computer character driver (*source!*)
        K) 3B5 computer block device driver (*source!*)
        L) 3B5 computer character driver (*source!*)
        M) Writing drivers for systems with paging
        N) Change drivers associated with a feature card

     Appendices I through L contains source to the 3B2 PORTS and
disk driver, plus the same for the 3B5.  It is not machine-
readable and it is growing more out of date all the time, but it
has provided an incredible wealth of information if you want to
turn your 3B2 inside out.

     My document (Issue 1, Nov 1984) has has Comcode 305-495 and
can be ordered from the AT&T Customer Information Center --
that's their documentation hotline: their number is (800) 432-
6600.  They are not very friendly there but all you are doing is
ordering books so what do you expect.  I think I paid $50 for
this and has been worth many orders of magnitude more than that.

     Steve
--
Life : Stephen J. Friedl @ V-Systems, Inc./Santa Ana, CA   *Hi Mom*
CSNet: friedl%vsi.uucp at kent.edu  ARPA: friedl%vsi.uucp at uunet.uu.net
uucp : {kentvax, uunet, attmail, ihnp4!amdcad!uport}!vsi!friedl