Color Monitor for AT&T 6300+

Brad Davis bradd at gssc.UUCP
Wed Mar 23 13:38:40 AEST 1988

In article <354 at lehi3b15.UUCP> flash at lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

>Our department chairman has an AT&T 6300+ computer, which is a
>"mostly" PC-Compatible machine.  Currently it has the original
>monochrome monitor, but appears to actually be a black and white
>monitor since I can get graphics and simulated shades.

   Absolutly right.

   Your machine can drive either a color monitor or the black and green
   you have now.  Your software cannot tell which kind you have attached.

   When a program uses "colors", this is displayed as either gray scale
   or as the true intended color depending on the monitor.

>                                                        Has anyone
>sucessfully been able to put a real color monitor on this machine.

   If you wanted to see what you are seeing now in actual color, you need
   to go buy a color monitor of some type.  There are four options that
   I am aware of:

   1.   AT&T's own color monitor, which is kind of spendy
   2.   Amdek makes an equivalent, which I think is alot less
   3.   Nanao makes a multisync-type monitor that handles AT&T's video
		(this is unusual for a multisync-type monitor).  This is
                perhaps even more expensive than AT&T's, but you can
		plug this monitor into darn near anything and it will work
		great.  It'll take CGA,EGA,VGA,many of the new DGIS boards
		and even the Macintosh II.
   4.   Disable the built in video so you can mount a standard EGA or CGA
		clone card.  This would allow you to use standard monitors,
		which might save you money.  Since this may involve quite
		a bit of work - think twice before embarking.

   I have used options 1,3 and 4 at various times.  The AT&T monitor is
   nice (not as sharp as the mono though), the Nanao is as good, and
   I have enjoyed the my current EGA/Nanao combination so much I'll never

>Can it be done by just making a special cable?

   Sorry, no chance.  The AT&T video is a very non-standard frequency as
   well as a strange connector.  So strange in fact that even most
   multisyncs can't handle it very well.

   You're going to have to buy one of the three monitors above unless you opt
   for option 4 (which would let you use most any monitor, but you'll
   have to buy a card as well).

====== ====== ======        US MAIL: Brad Davis, Firmware Division
==     ==     ==                     9590 SW Gemini Dr.
==  == ==  == ==  ==                 Beaverton, OR  97005
==  ==     ==     ==        PHONE:   (503) 641-2200
====== ====== ======        UUCP:    tektronix!sequent!gssc!bradd
The Graphics Experts        Disclaimer: I'm a mushroom.