Is there any replacement for the FloppyTape drive on the 3B1?

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus.UUCP
Tue Sep 20 10:48:34 AEST 1988

In article <358 at gizzmo.UUCP> mark at gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>In article <495 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>I have a question for the net... I have in my possession a 3B1 tape
>>controller board and the driver software.  My question is can I get
>>a tape drive that is similar in operation to the 3B1's?
>

>Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
>drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
>them for as low as $100.00.

Since the tape drive runs off a floppy interface, would anyone be
willing to write a tape driver to run a tape drive off /dev/rfp020?
(hint, hint, Lenny :-)  Also - can it be made to run a >20M tape
drive (like 40 or 60?)

This could be asking the imposible, but I'm not sure what's involved
in writing such a driver.  We sell several 1/2 ht floppy (DC600?) tape
drives where I work (brand names: Archive and Mountain) and they come
with nice documentation which should make deciphering the interface
easier.

What's the probability?

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren