UNIX PC's VOICE POWER, Text-to-Speech, Documentation -- Need Help!

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Fri Sep 23 12:47:47 AEST 1988

I just recently acquired a VOICE POWER board for the UNIX PC.  I bought
this used from someone who didn't have the original diskettes or
*any* of the documentation.   What I have now is the board and the
following diskettes:

	VOICE Power System Software 1.2 (2 disks)
	VOICE Power Electronic Mail 1.0 (1 disk)
	VOICE Power Answering Machine 2.0 (2 disks)

I was able to get hold of a copy of the "AT&T UNIX PC, Voice Power
Applications Programmer Reference Manual," which came with the following
disk:
	VOICE Power: Applications Programmer Reference Diskette 1.0
	(1 disk)

The hardware was installed, and I loaded in the packages that I got.
The board works fine, now it's time for me to do a little development.
I was told by there should be two other diskettes that would have come with
the board, something called "VDA (which is referenced all over)", and
another which is the VOICE Power Diagnostic diskette.  I've asked
someone from the hotline group whether I can just get the documentation
that comes with the board and the associated software, unfortunately you
cannot get this separately.   Is there any good soul out there that would
be willing to make some photocopies and diskette copies?  I would be most
greatful... and I am willing to reimburse you for your trouble.
(That's basically my first plea...)

Secondly, I need someone who might be a VOICE Power guru?  Looking
through the Applications Programmer Reference guide, they mentioned
there should be a command called "vtts(1)".  Unfortunately this is
no where to be found.  What this is supposed to do is to take inputted
text and convert it to synthesized speech.  All throughout the guide they
have "cavaets" that say ... Text-to-speech components of Voice Power are
provided for evaluation only and are not supported.   Well I want to
"evaluate" :-)  Also why is the /usr/lib/libtts.a (text-to-speech library)
in 5.0 archive format?  Should I just do a "convert(1)" to convert it
to 5.2 archive format?

Lastly, if anyone has done some development with the board, and is willing
to share his or her source code with me, I would appreciate any learning
tools they might have.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on a person's new "toy" ...

-Lenny
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \
           PO Box 1                |                boulder \
           Islip Terrace, NY 11752 |                talcott  !icus!lenny
Vocal-net: (516) 582-5525 [work]   |                pacbell /
           (516) 968-8576 [home]   |                hombre /
Telex-net: 154232428 ICUS          | Another-net:   attmail!icus!lenny